Our full PDF of the Advisory Board’s Integrated Comments and Recommendations on the MWRA’s Proposed FY20 Current Expense Budget and Capital Improvement Program is here. Click to find overviews of capital spending in the water and wastewater programs, as well as summaries of other spending categories, including capital financing, pension, and personnel. Highlights in our document include:
- Recommending a 3.15% rate increase, down from the Authority’s proposed 3.74%
- Advocating a $950,000 reduction in wages and salaries by assuming a slightly higher vacancy rate, noting that MWRA underspent this line item by $3.8 million through April 2019
- Proposing careful steps forward on the Commonwealth’s new Paid Family and Medical Leave program
- Calling for a $500,000 reduction in the Watershed Division due to historically budgeted but unfilled positions
- Making sure ratepayers are treated fairly when it comes to the relationship with fellow quasi agency, Massport, by assessing Massport for Operations and Maintenance of Wiggins Pump Station and respectfully requesting that Massport rescind the $8 million easement charge at Conley Terminal for the cross-harbor cable replacement project
With the approval of these recommendations by the Advisory Board at the May 16th meeting, we look forward to presenting to the MWRA Board of Directors at the end of this month.