Info for MWRA Communities
Advisory Board Final Federalism Comments
The Advisory Board in conjunction with the MWRA reached out to member communities for comments and feedback on potential revisions to EPA’s Lead and Copper Rule
RequirementsWater systems must sample tap and take actions including:
- Treating water to make it less corrosive to plumbing materials that contain lead and copper
- Educating consumers
- Replacing lead service lines
Lead and Copper Rule (LCR)
- EPA established LCR in 1991
- Applies to 68 thousand public water systems serving about 300 million people
Health Effectsof Lead and Copper
- Lead damages the brain, red blood cells and kidneys
- Copper can cause stomach and intestinal distress, liver or kidney damage, and complications of Wilson’s disease in genetically predisposed people
Pursuant to the “Federalism” Executive Order (#13132), EPA reached out to elected state and local government officials to discuss potential changes to the LCR.
Check back for more info soon!
As we get more information, we’ll continue updating this page.