Board Briefs - PMD Update, Community Assistance Update, and Deer Island Storm Event read more
The role of the Advisory Board is to provide feedback on MWRA projects and initiatives. At the January 19 meeting in Canton, the AB weighed in on two such undertakings.
The first was the MWRA’s emerging plans for system-wide water redundancy. Having participated in a half-day information session on redundancy in December, AB members unanimously voted to support an emerging MWRA plan to insure water system redundancy to the metropolitan area.
AB members included five conditions to their recommendation:
1. Use a Program Management Division (PMD) approach, similar to the Boston Harbor Project
2. Select deep rock tunnel versus surface piping alternative
3. Support the MWRA’s recommendation for two tunnels, north and south
4. Recommend that MWRA construct both tunnels concurrently, rather than in a phased manner
5. Pursue strategies that dedicate revenue from non-typical, or one-time water users sources (e.g. drought connections) to help fund the Metropolitan Tunnel Redundancy
The MWRA Board of Directors will take up their discussion on redundancy as we move forward in the spring. The Advisory Board looks forward to participating with the Board and MWRA staff in shaping this critical project.
AB members also weighed in on expanding eligible projects under the Local Community I/I Grant/Loan Program. This community-initiated discussion was first presented at our Operations Committee meeting in November. Eligible projects now include:
- Permanent flow monitoring equipment
- Sewer inspection equipment
- Building inspections, smoke testing, dye testing
- Administrative tasks related to planning/development of procedures and public outreach
- Database development and mapping of connections to public utilities
This expansion will provide communities more tools to upgrade their local sewer systems.
Your voice can make a difference. Please attend AB Operations and regular meetings. There are also seats available on our Executive Committee. Feel free to contact us for more information.