LONG-TERM RATES MANAGEMENT
Goal: Work to ensure rates that are sustainable, predictable, and as low as reasonable.
MWRA has released preliminary community assessments, which average an increase of 3.9% in FY19.
This November 2017 edition of News and Notes features a recap of this year’s Water and Retail Rate Survey, which has been enhanced with decades of data.
Advisory Board recommends lowest rate increase in five years…
This May 2017 installment of News and Notes highlights the Advisory Board’s recommendation for a 3.19% rate increase for FY18, down from the Authority’s 3.79% recommendation.
Green Sheet – March 2017 – Proposed FY18 CEB Overview
This installment of News and Notes for February 2017 celebrates the achievements of Mr. Walter Woods, who is three months away from his 99th birthday, and is retiring from the Advisory Board as the Wellesley representative.
Metropolitan Tunnel Redundancy from a dollars perspective – in 7 minutes.
From NPDES permits strategies, rates moving forward, and a new approach to system expansion, the September 2016 Green Sheet lays out the Advisory Board’s FY17 challenges and priorities.
FY 2016 Q2 Goal
- Work with Authority staff to begin plans for mitigating variability in water assessment increases.
FY 2016 Activity
- Initiated discussions with Authority regarding smoothing of proposed water rate revenue requirement assessments.
- Long-Term Rates Management Committee meets and agrees to recommend $10 million deposit into OPEB with the balance to be used for strategic rate relief in future years.
- MWRA Board of Directors selects three representatives and Executive Director for Long-Term Rates Management Committee.
- Executive Committee selects two representatives and Executive Director for LTRMC.
- Exec. Director added LTRM Committee member selection to Exec. agenda for January.
- AB Exec. Director asked MWRA Exec. Director for LTRMC meeting in February with goal for March vote.
- MWRA Exec. Director announced at BOD Meeting that LTRMC would be reconvened in early CY 2015.
- Executive Director discussed reconvening LTRMC with MWRA Exec. Director and MWRA Director of Administration and Finance.
- MWRA agreed with AB Recommendation for reconvening LTRM Committee.
Comments and Recommendations History
FY 2015 (printed May 2014)
- The Advisory Board recommends that the Long-Term Rates Management Committee be reconvened with updated membership according to the original makeup present on the committee, and that meetings begin in September 2014 (page 47; #7).
- The Advisory Board recommends the Authority further formalize these efforts by creating a working committee to consider the range of tools available to ensure a measured approach to meeting its rate revenue needs through 2022 (page 84; #20).