Goal: Continue to assist communities in reducing extraneous flow in their local sewer systems.
Board Briefs – PMD Update, Community Assistance Update, and Deer Island Storm Event
This May 2017 installment of News and Notes highlights the Advisory Board’s recommendation for a 3.19% rate increase for FY18, down from the Authority’s 3.79% recommendation.
This installment of News and Notes for January 2017 talks about giving the communities a voice.
The role of the Advisory Board is to provide feedback on MWRA projects and initiatives.
This installment of News and Notes for October 2016 talks about the new challenges for MWRA pellets.
FY 2016 Q2 Goal:
- Promote and track communities who begin to utilize Phase 9 & 10 of the I/I program. (See I/I Funding Summary through August 2015 including new phases here)
FY 2016 Activity
- Partnered with UCANE to launch outreach to Lieutenant Governor re: available funding.
- Press conference with Mayor Jeannette McCarthy, MWRA, and Advisory Board for receiving Phase 9 funding. View a video of the press conference here!
- Approved language of first community survey required by changes to I/I program.
- Phase 10 has been triggered by communities who have expended over 50% Phase 9 money.
- $10.7 million of Phase 9 funding distributed through Q3. (View a list of distributions through March 2015 here.)
- Press event with Mayor Setti Warren, MWRA, and MWRA Advisory Board to kick off Phase 9 of the I/I program. View a video of the press conference here!
- Coordinated for press event with City of Newton.
- Board adopted Advisory Board recommendations to:
- Expand I/I Program by $80 million
- Create a 75% grant/25% zero-interest loan
- Ten-year payment cycle
- Remove local programs from MWRA CIP cap.
Comments and Recommendations History
FY 2015 (printed May 2014)
- The Advisory Board recommends that the payback period for Phase 9 and Phase 10 of the Inflow/Infiltration Local Financial Assistance Program be extended to ten years. (Page 86; #26)
- The Advisory Board recommends that Phase 9 and Phase 10 of the Inflow/Infiltration Local Financial Assistance Program be reconfigured to allow for a grant/loan ratio of 75% grants and 25% interest-free loans. (Page 86; #27)
FY 2013 (printed May 2012)
- Include Phase VIII of the Inflow/Infiltration Local Financial Assistance Program in the final CIP, beginning in FY13. (Page 11; #5)
- To reduce the variability in community loan program distributions, the Advisory Board supports a revision in the cap calculation to exclude the local assistance programs from the cap calculation beginning in FY14. (Page 17; #6)