Ensure that MWRA member communities are not named as “co-permittees” on the Authority’s NPDES permit with EPA for the Deer Island Treatment Plant to avoid changing the relationship between the MWRA and its communities from “partner” to “enforcer”.
Advisory Board recommends lowest rate increase in five years…
From NPDES permits strategies, rates moving forward, and a new approach to system expansion, the September 2016 Green Sheet lays out the Advisory Board’s FY17 challenges and priorities.
The June 2017 installment of the Green Sheet gives a brief overview of the Advisory Board’s Integrated Comments and Recommendations. Highlights include:
- How we get to the lowest rate increase in five years
- How we reevaluate risk to protect ratepayers in future years
- Our approach on Deer Island’s NPDES permit and how it could save ratepayers millions of dollars
You can view, print, or download our entire Integrated Comments and Recommendations here.
From NPDES permits strategies, rates moving forward, and a new approach to system expansion, the September 2016 Green Sheet lays out the Advisory Board's FY17 challenges and priorities. read more
FY 2016 Q2 Goals
- Ensure MWRA Board of Directors receives a detailed update of the impacts co-permittee language would have on MWRA and member communities.
- Prepare to appeal final NPDES permits issued to Clinton Wastewater Treatment Plant and/or Deer Island Treatment Plant.
FY 2016 Activity
- No new activity.
- Advisory Board approves recommendation for MWRA staff to present the issues and impacts of including co-permittee language in the pending NPDES permits.
- Environmental Appeals Board denies appeal of Charles River Pollutant Control District’s NPDES permit.
- Decided not to pursue further legal action on CRPDC permit.
- Advisory Board sent a check to Bowditch-Dewey to aid in the legal costs of the CRPCD’s appeal of the NPDES permit issued to them by the EPA in July, 2014.
- The Advisory Board’s Executive Committee voted to approve $5,000.00 towards the legal costs of CRPCD’s appeal of the NPES permit issued to them by the EPA in July, 2014.
- Advisory Board’s Executive Committee approves putting legal counsel on retainer in anticipation of a NPDES permit being issued to the Deer Island Treatment Plant in which co-permittees were named. Seven years later, EPA has not yet issued the permit.
Comments and Recommendations History
- The Advisory Board recommends that Authority staff draft an informational staff summary and provide a detailed presentation to the full MWRA Board of Directors in July 2015 on the history and the significance of the issues at stake with regard to co-permittee language in the Deer Island NPDES permit. (page 96; #24)
FY 2015 (printed May 2014)